Using the Canvas Course Management System
Canvas is a Web-based set of tools ILO uses to deliver online learning. If you can use a word processing program, e-mail or Web browser, you should have no problems mastering the capabilities of Canvas. Some of the Canvas tools students might encounter in their course include:
- Quizzes & Tests
Each of the Canvas tools enable students to communicate and interact with teachers and other students in many of the same ways as a traditional course. As with any type of class, the tools and techniques used will be different from course to course based on the instructor and the content. Once students start a course, there are many opportunities to explore each feature in-depth.
Canvas provides a comprehensive collection of online guides, videos and troubleshooting tips for all users:
- Canvas Student Getting Started Guide
- Canvas Student Guide
- Canvas Observer Guide (For School Administrators and Student Coaches)
Students can access Canvas on their mobile device through any mobile browser. Canvas recommends using the free Canvas mobile application for an improved user experience for most courses. The Canvas by Instructure app is the mobile version of Canvas that helps you stay current with courses anywhere you go. Download the free Canvas by Instructure app on Android and iOS devices through their respective online stores (iOS 8.0+, Android 4.0.3+).
To access your ILO course on the app:
- Install the Canvas by Instructure app from the respective app store on your device.
- Launch the app. In the "Find your school or district" prompt, enter "ilo.instructure.com".
- Use the same username and password that you use on the website to access your course.
More information about the apps can be found in the following guides:
- Canvas by Instructure Android Guide
- Canvas by Instructure iOS Guide
- Depending on your device, not all Canvas features may be available on the app at this time. View Canvas mobile features by version and device.
- *Note that the ILO World Language courses are not currently compatible with mobile devices, including iPads.
ILO's Canvas system allows a parent/guardian to create a free Observer account for their student. This will allow parents to view course content, student submissions and grades. To create this account, the parent must know the student's Canvas username and password. Create a parent account at ilo.instructure.com by clicking "Parent of a Canvas User? Click Here For an Account". View the following Canvas support articles for more information.
- Parent Registration and Student Observation (Video)
- How do I sign up for a Canvas account as a Parent?
- How do I add multiple students to an Observer/Parent account?
Canvas Parent App
A parent observer app is available for iOS and Android. Parents and guardians can sign into this app using their observer account to view grades, course events and due dates, as well as set custom alerts for student activity and progress. Please note this app is still in Beta release with additional changes and updates anticipated.